Ka’ena Point Hike – State Park Trail In Oahu, Hawaii
The Ka’ena Point hike is a state park trail on the northwestern tip of Oahu, Hawaii.
This is a flat, family friendly trek along the coastline, ending with great views of the west coast and Pacific ocean, and lots of opportunities for wildlife sightings.This travel guide will explain how to get there, and everything you need to know before you go!
Ka’ena Point: What To Expect
This is a straightforward out-and-back hike that is flat all the way, although the path is sandy at times.
It’s a little long at 5 miles (8 km) round trip, but I’d still rate this an easy hike that can be very enjoyable for any fitness level. Allow 1 to 3 hours.
During the trek you’ll walk along the western coast of Oahu, passing by mountains, sand dunes, tide pools, and ocean blowholes, and ending at the Ka’ena Point Natural Area Reserve, a gated bird sanctuary.
At the point (and occasionally along the trail), you can spot rare seabirds, monk seals, whales, and dolphins. I counted half a dozen Hawaiian monk seals here in one hike!
- This is the west coast, so it’s a great place to watch the sunset.
- Bring sunscreen and water. The entire hike is hot and exposed.
- Lock your car and do not leave anything valuable in it! This area has a lot of break-ins.
- As always, please remember to keep the trail clean, be considerate of other hikers, and leave no trace. Thanks and happy travels!
FREE as of 2020.
There’s no entrance fee for Ka’ena Point.
How To Get There
The Ka’ena Point hike is located on the northwestern tip of Oahu island, in Hawaii.
Sadly the Oahu bus doesn’t go here, so this is one of those places where your best bet is by car.
I’ve done the hike from both directions, and I think the western (Wai’anae) route is more scenic and has more to see, because you can also see Keawaula Beach and the Makua Caves.
More Hawaii Travel Tips
I hope you enjoyed this travel guide for the Ka’ena Point hike in Oahu, Hawaii.
Where To Stay In Oahu
Best Oahu Tours
- Best Things To Do In Oahu Hawaii - Fun, Couples, & Free
- Best Hikes In Oahu Hawaii - Most Epic & Beautiful Hiking Trails