Bali Map: Where Is Bali Island & Indonesia Located On The World Map?
When I came home from my first trip there, most of my friends and family had no idea where Bali is located (I used to think Bali is a country!). And that’s because for us Americans, it’s literally on the other side of the world.
Once you get to Bali and start exploring, it can also be a bit of a tricky island to navigate because of its odd shape and the way the different regencies (provinces) are set up.
Hopefully this Bali map and location guide will help clear up any confusion!
Where Is Bali On The World Map?
Bali is an island in Indonesia, so let’s first find the country of Indonesia on the world map.
Indonesia is located in Southeast Asia and it’s made up of more than 14,000 islands.
Where Is Bali Located In Indonesia?
Next, let’s look at a map of Indonesia and find the island of Bali (in red).
Bali is a fairly small island, located just to the right of Java, the 5th largest island in Indonesia. These two islands—Bali and Java—were connected by land in centuries past.
Bali Indonesia Map
Lastly, here’s a close-up Bali island map for tourists.
This is a complete island map showing the main regions and important locations of Bali.
Most tourism in Bali is concentrated in the lower half of the island, especially in the panhandle at the bottom.
Bali is divided into 8 regencies and 1 city (Denpasar).
Here’s a brief summary of each area in Bali:
- Badung: The Ngurah Rai International Airport is near the bottom, in Kuta. Badung regency is known for popular tourist zones like Canggu, Kuta, and Uluwatu.
- Denpasar: This is the ‘city center’ of Bali. It also includes the popular beachside town of Sanur.
- Gianyar: This regency is home to Ubud and lots of popular cultural sights.
- Tabanan: Contains the Jatiluwih rice terraces and Bedugul.
- Klungkung: Mostly known for Nusa Penida, a small but very scenic island off the coast of Bali.
- Bangli: Most famous site is Kintamani and Mount Batur, an active volcano you can hike for sunrise.
- Buleleng: Has Munduk, Singaraja, West Bali National Park, and most of the north coast of Bali island.
- Karangasem: Big area with Bali’s tallest volcano, Mount Agung. Also known for Sidemen village and the Amed coast.
- Jembrana: This is Bali’s least developed area. It’s mostly covered with mountains and rice terraces.
More Bali Travel Tips
I hope this Bali map helped you understand where Bali is in the world.
If you’re planning a trip to Bali or somewhere else in Indonesia, don’t forget to check out my complete Bali Travel Guide and stay tuned to this blog for more tips, photos & info!
Bali Indonesia Map/Photo Credits
The Bali maps on this page are courtesy of Wikimedia Commons. Their respective licenses apply:
- Indonesia on the globe (Indonesia centered). Wikimedia Commons author Addicted04. CC BY-SA 3.0.
- Bali in Indonesia (special marker). Wikimedia Commons author baliguide. CC BY-SA 3.0.
- Bali-regions-map. Wikimedia Commons author TUBS. CC BY 3.0.
Where To Stay
- Bali Travel Guide - Hiking, Temples, Waterfalls & More
- Best Beaches In Bali
- Best Waterfalls In Bali
- Best Temples In Bali