Jiufen Taiwan – Spirited Away From Taipei To Jiufen Old Street
Jiufen, Taiwan is one of the most popular day trips from Taipei city. This town is a perfect blend of history, nostalgia, shopping, and sightseeing, and it’s super easy to reach from Taipei.
Famous for its similarity to the village from Spirited Away, this mountain town in Taiwan also draws crowds of tourists wanting to see Jiufen Old Street, which has loads of souvenir shops, tea houses, and good restaurants to try.This travel guide will explain how to get there, and everything you need to know before you go!
What Is It?
Jiufen, Taiwan is an old seaside gold mining town (turned ghost town) that became popular for its connection to the films City of Sadness and Spirited Away.
The town of Jiufen (also spelled Jioufen or Chiufen) was revived by tourism in the 1990s, and now lots of people come here for the street markets, good food, tea, and neat photo ops.
Most people visit Jiufen on a day trip from Taipei, but if you want to stay longer there are plenty of guesthouses!
Things To Do In Jiufen Taiwan
- Jiufen Old Street: The street markets are packed with cafes, souvenirs, and of course lots of great street food. Some top foods to try are the braised pork rice, squid kabobs, mango ice cream, taro balls, Japanese mochi, and Taiwanese bubble tea.
- A-Mei Teahouse: This traditional teahouse with its rows of windows and paper lanterns is the most famous view in Jiufen. If you plan to have tea there, you’ll want to book ahead online.
- Qipao Rental: For the ladies, Jiufen is a great place to wear the traditional Chinese dress. My wife decided to do hers in Taipei city instead, but Jiufen would have been a good spot too.
- Golden Waterfall: This is a unique looking waterfall on orange rocks just 10 minutes from Jiufen. Most Jiufen tour packages include this in the itinerary, or you can take a quick taxi from Jiufen.
- Teapot Mountain Hike: If you have more time, knock out this hike on the coast with stunning mountain views. It starts from the nearby Jinguashi Gold Ecological Museum and takes about 4 hours total.
How To Get There
Jiufen is located about 25 miles (40 km) east of Taipei city.
• By Taxi
A one way ride to Jiufen will cost at least 1,200-1,400 TWD ($40-50 USD) and takes about 45 minutes from Taipei.
• By Private Car Charter
Klook has a Taipei private car charter for 3,100 TWD ($105 USD) as of this posting.
This is the most convenient and cost effective option if you’re traveling in a group, because you can split the costs and your driver will wait for you all day while you’re sightseeing. The round trip price is not much higher than a taxi.
• By Train & Bus
You can take the train from Taipei Main Station to Ruifang Station (by TRA train), and then the bus from Ruifang Station to Jiufen.
The whole journey will take about 1 hour (40 minutes on the train and 20 minutes on the bus) and cost 65 TWD (50 TWD for the train and 15 TWD for the bus).
• Best Jiufen Tour From Taipei
Klook has a Jiufen day tour by bus from Taipei starting at 450 TWD ($15 USD) per person as of this posting. That’s for a 9 hour full day tour.
This is the same tour we used for visiting Jiufen from Taipei, and the great thing is that it also includes Yehliu Geopark, Shifen Waterfall, and the Houtong Cat Village near Jiufen. There was plenty of time at each of the sights.
We’ve used Klook for lots of tours and activities around the world, and they’re great! Highly recommended.
Book Now: Jiufen Tour + Yehliu + Shifen